As a hairdresser, and the owner of a natural, sulphate free hair care range,
I often get asked, “What is so bad about SLS based body products?”
Now I certainly don’t want to come from the angle of fear, but if it’s going to educate and inform you, well I say, I’m glad you asked!
Sodium Laurel Sulphate (SLS) or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) is used as a surfactant to break down the surface tension in water. It is used in concrete floor cleaners, engine degreasers and car wash detergents.
Can you imagine the potency of this emulsifier, and what it must be doing to your hair and scalp health?
As SLS is a mutagen (an agent such as radiation or a chemical substance which causes genetic mutation) in sufficient amounts, it is capable of changing the cellular structure of the hair and scalp.
These changes that occur include;
- Corroding of the hair follicle, which in turn, ceases healthy hair regrowth
- Skin irritations such as dandruff, psoriasis, eczema & dermatitis
- Damage to the immune system, causing skin inflammation and separation of the skin layers
- And …
- Regular absorption through skin contact maintains residual toxic levels in the heart, liver, lungs and brain!
Thank goodness there are alternatives and you DO have a choice! Always check the labels on your products for the ingredients list and do your research.
How do our EMULISIFIERS differ?
Our Moisturising Shampoo contains only plant derived components such as;
- Olefin Sulphonate, an organic compound derived from Olive Oil and,
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine an organic coconut oil emulsifier.
Our safer alternatives allow for gentle cleansing and moisturising along with Herbal extracts of Calendula & Chamomile to assist in soothing the above skin conditions that can occur after using heavy detergent based, SLS hair & body care products.
Our mission at Nature’s Symphony is to further educate, inspire and offer any alternative in order to keep your family free from harm.
Interested in finding out more about our ingredients? Please see our informative list under the sub-heading ‘ Our Natural Ingredients ‘ on our website